Search This Blog

Thursday 1 November 2018

Birds of a Feather

Pick a subject each month, learn about it.  Seemed simple enough way back on the 1st July when I decided “Never Stop Learning” needed to be a thing.  Should have taken into account procrastination and time constraints.  So choosing to learn about birds in July (extended through to August, September and October) has been a long, drawn out effort.  Partly because there are a lot of birds (just to be clear here – I’m talking about the flapping, flying, feathered variety) and a lot to learn. But still, I now notice birds everywhere. Luckily whilst peering up into the tree tops I have only stumbled twice, stepped on dog poo once and have yet to have an eye plucked out by a kamikaze magpie. Win win.

Could I name the 20 most common around Melbourne, which was the challenge?  Yes, I probably could – although some of the little blighters are way too fast to check out their “wattles” and distinguish between Red, Yellow and Little Wattlebirds.  Yeah, yeah settle down. I know that Yellows are the big ones found in Tassie and here in Melbourne we get the Red and the Littles. And because I know you’re dying to know, the “wattle” is the coloured bits at the side of their necks.  Yellows have yellow wattles, Reds have red wattles and Little’s don’t have a wattle at all. Which kind of make’s the name Little Wattlebird a bit odd. But prior to July, I thought they were called Wattlebirds because they lived in Wattle Trees.

Anyway, after flicking through a few books and a half-hearted attempt at researching, I realised that this is not the sort of subject that you can just say done and dusted in a month!  Birding is a serious and popular past time.  I also discovered that I quiet enjoy identifying birds so maybe it can become a new found ongoing interest.  Still determined to at least say I’ve learnt something, I went along last Saturday 27 October to a Bird Walk at Cheltenham Park run by the very friendly and dedicated Friends of Native Wildlife. With binoculars hung around my neck, off we went. Now firstly I must say that I didn’t even know that Cheltenham Park Reserve existed.  Apart from sporting facilities and play grounds there are bushlands and several walking tracks – who knew!  Sadly, some of the bushland was decimated by fire last year. Arson was suspected, but certainly not by the residents resting peacefully at the Cheltenham Cemetery which runs alongside the park.

Our lovely guide Anne spoke about the birds we saw and answered questions. With her trusty bird App, we were able to see pictures up close and even listen to their calls. All very interesting and I learnt lots.  One thing I was amazed by is that here in Victoria we don’t have any crows!!  Those big, black, beady eyed birds are Ravens – Australian Ravens to be exact.  Or maybe the Little Raven. Which is similar to the Australian Raven, only, well Little. And because I’m now such a fountain of knowledge, I know that Ravens usually travel in pairs and have a wedge-shaped tail whereas crows are seen in larger groups and their tail is shaped like a fan. Their calls are different too.  If you’re a trivia buff, you’ll probably know that a “flock” of crows is called a “Murder” but did you know that a group of ravens is called an “unkindness” or “conspiracy”? Now you do – note for next trivia challenge.

Enjoyable morning and an interesting “bunch" of people. 

Going forward, my learn something new each month needs to be smaller and more doable.  I also realised that it should probably be in line with my goals.  So time to revisit the list and update.  And my November thing – “learn how to create picture quotes.”  
Australian Raven

Red Wattlebird


Backyard Chickens (nice butt Louise)

No comments:

Post a Comment