Search This Blog

Sunday 18 November 2018

Life is short do what you love

Number 1 on my list for 2018 was "get a job I love." The challenge, what did that look like?  All I was really sure of was that it wasn't where I was and wasn't where I saw myself in 1 years time, let alone to retirement.

So how do you go about working out what you love and once you've got that, how do you find your dream job?  Turns out it's not so easy. Sure, coming up with a list of all the things I love was easy, deciding on a job that combined those - not so much.  A writer, crocheting, stand-up comic that loves dogs, exploring, travel and hopes to live in a caravan, is a hard one to explain on the CV.

Breaking my ankle in February was a set-back, but when June came around, I was determined to find that dream job.  Applying for jobs that you are not fully qualified for is hard and there were a few rejections.  However, by September, I had decided that applying for jobs within my industry that were similar to what I was doing was definitely not a good idea, so I started looking into a few courses to expand my skills.

Now number 2 on my list for this year was "get retrenched" and here we are, a very big life-changing tick!  I didn't hate my job, and I worked with some great people, but I certainly didn't love it and my use-by date was definitely up.  A week has passed and I've had time to contemplate unemployment - I like it! The initial euphoria of freedom has settled, although I've still got a great big smile on my face.

I'm looking forward to going to my meeting with the outplacement service - maybe they can help me work out what I want to do and how to go about doing it.  For now, I'm enjoying the extra time to help Emi (Gardener's Touch), have a good clean out,  spending time with Lola, do some writing (although that has been a bit slow), go exploring and work out what next. I'm also very lucky to have the support of Emi.

I've got so many ideas running through my head, that last Tuesday I found myself panicking that I still don't have enough time to do everything I want to do!  Barista, RSA, First-Aid course and towing course all planned.  Learning more about sustainability and several ideas around that.  And hopefully lots of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment