Search This Blog

Sunday 3 January 2021

2021 - a year of HEALTH

Always loved a good list and back in 2015, the year I turned 50, I started the 101 things to do in 2015 list.  That then kind of expanded into a bucket list of all the places and things I wanted to do before I kick the bucket.  Many things were unrealistic but adding to it was nearly as much fun as planning days out to tick things off.

For the next few years, I added and ticked things off regularly.  Then when I had a whole year off, it kind of stalled a bit.  That was back in 2019.  As for 2020, well, let’s not talk about that one.

So I spent some time re-visiting the lists.  Removed a lot of things and started a new 52 things to do in 2021 list.  Plenty of space to add things as the year progresses.  Also as my word of the year is HEALTH, I though I’d better throw in a few things around that.

Still working out what my year of HEALTH will look like – but if Rebel Wilson can dedicate a year to feeling better, so can I.  Of course I need to lose some weight and get fitter.  I just signed up to NOOM.  Actually I started the 2-week trial 2 weeks before Christmas (probably not the best time) and unsurprisingly, haven’t lost any weight – but haven’t gained any, so that’s a win at this time of the year. My 4-month program has now kicked off and I’ve given myself to the end of April to lose 10kg.  Each day you work through a few little psyche tips and quiz’s, weigh yourself and log your food. Which is actually quite scary and makes you much more conscious of what you’re actually eating and in my case that’s not enough vegetables and way too much crap. 

Now in the past, the only commitment I’ve really stuck with is avoiding the gym, so now the challenge is to NOOM each day, walk daily, start the day with 30 sit ups and 30 push ups and do 20 minutes of weights 4 times a week.  Small steps. 

More veggies required.  I’m going to cook through a vegetarian cookbook, with my ultimate goal to stick to a 95% vegetarian diet by mid-year.

What else am I trying to incorporate into my year of health? Daily Meditation.  Dabbled a few times, but pretty crap at it.  So just trying 10 minutes at a time.  Breathe in. Breathe out. Easy. Not.

Also decided I want to go on a little retreat this year.  The ones in Byron Bay look lovely but are expensive and one slight problem is that I don’t really like Yoga, apparently that’s OK.  I also looked at Aruna Giri in Healesville – but then saw that it involved silence and maybe (OK definitely) that’s not for me.  I think I need to start off “lite” so have decided that the 2-night Inner Joy Retreat at Happy Buddha in the Blue Mountains is the perfect beginners retreat.  Now if only we’re allowed to travel……


Oh and to get into the zen mode, I've been reading about and ordered some essential oils. 

I’m also trying to get back into the habit of reading. Somewhere along the line last year, maybe because of no train travel, my reading dropped right off.  Which is a shame, because I love reading. So a relaxed target of 26 books on the list.  Oh and I’m listening to random podcasts when I take Lola out for her little walk each day. 

Not sure where I'm actually going to find all the time to do the above and work, but I'm going to be so friggin healthy, calm and in the moment, that I won't give a fuck.

Turning 55 certainly made me think that if we’re going to hit the road soon as Grey Nomads, we better be ready.





No comments:

Post a Comment