Search This Blog

Thursday 23 February 2023

From Hampton to Southampton

It’s been nearly a year since I packed up my life in Melbourne and flew to the UK.  Hard to believe. The time has flown and yet looking back over the year, I’ve managed to do A LOT!  I remember those last few manic weeks before leaving.  Finishing up at work and literally throwing away everything I owned except for a few sentimental bits and pieces that I put into storage.  It wasn’t easy and there were many WTF am I doing moments.  So many memories and dreams all thrown away.  I’d been talking about downsizing and minimising and suddenly there I was completely free. And unemployed.  Gulp, a little scary but it was time to spread my wings and fly away.

It was a little sad leaving my little house by the bay with my amazing Neighbours.  Mixed emotions.  The last home my beautiful Lucas and Lola knew.  But the last year filled with way too much hurt, pain, and anger to remain.

I arrived on a sunny day in London (yep, clear blue sky and gorgeous sunshine), 27 February 2022 and made my way down to Southampton.  First couple of weeks were spent catching up with cousins and playing tourist.  Lesson number one, it doesn’t rain or is anywhere near as cold as I’d expected it to be. 

Did lots of walking around Southampton common (it’s big) and the wonderful Old Cemetery (also big and old 😊). I have always had a bit of a fascination with cemeteries.  Not sure why, just find them interesting places.

Dragged Danny along to the SeaCity Museum to brush up on my Titanic history by bribing him with the promise of lunch.  I think he said 10 words the whole day.  Teenagers.  Things have improved, I now get 20 words, but bribery is still required.  The RMS Titanic did of course sail out of Southampton on her maiden voyage, and we all know how that turned out.  Of the estimated 2,224 people on board, over 1,500 died, and around 540 of those who perished were from Southampton.

In the city centre, I walked through The Bargate, the medieval gatehouse built during Norman times (the first Norman king was William the Conqueror, who won the Battle of Hastings in 1066 against the Anglo-Saxons) and walked along the old Southampton town walls.  Visited Tudor House and Gardens, with its 800 years of history and found Holyrood Church.  A coincidence that I moved from living just off Holyrood St in Hampton to Southampton? I think not, I took it as a sign.  Spent way too much time in supermarkets and discovered the joy of Tesco meal deals and Lidl croissants. It’s the simple things.  

Bargate

Not the Titanic, but part of the old City Walls

So here I am back in Southampton.  It's been my home base over the past year.  And for the next few months, will continue to be home as I look for some temporary work.  I'd rather be travelling, but the win lotto thing hasn't worked out. Yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment