Search This Blog

Friday 12 May 2023

Back to Work

Back in February 2022 (where has that year gone – oh yeah, happily travelling), I farewelled Programmed and set off on my year long adventure. I also farewelled job security and a regular income. Gulp. But what the hell, you only live once and I was going to live.

So when I got back to Southampton at the end of January 2023, I had a few decisions to make. Return to Australia and find work. Return to Australia, buy a campervan and drive off into the sunset (and find work) or stay in the UK and find work. I’m definitely not ready to head back home, and as I haven’t won lotto, the harsh reality was it was time to get some money coming in. I brushed off the CV and applied for a couple of pension type admin jobs. I even started an online course on the pension and tax systems here (riveting stuff, 0/5 would not recommend) and after a week, I thought, what the fuck am I doing?! I wanted to try something new. There was that moment of panic as I thought OK, what else could I do?  So I decided to try temp work with the idea of working 6 months and holidaying 6 months – because you know, work life balance.

I signed up with a couple of agencies and applied for a few jobs. And just like that, I had 3 offers! I took the first one at Carnival, because a cruise company would be fun right? And it was. Great office, nice people. 2-month contract flew by and then a 2 week break to see what else was out there. And just like last time, it didn’t take long. I seem to now have 2 jobs. I’m 2 days in on a 3-month Monday to Friday contract. I’d forgotten the joys of public transport, made worse by ongoing rolling train strikes over here. And I start my “fun job” (cruise terminal meet and greet) on Sunday morning, although starting at 6.30am doesn’t sounds like much fun. Anyway, will just wait and see how it all goes. Good thing I’ve got a little mini break at the end of May and a week off at the end of June. Oh and I'm still applying for the job of lotto winner.




No comments:

Post a Comment