Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 May 2023

Operation – New Friends


I’m blessed with many wonderful friends – the problem is most of them are too far away for a night out. Now that I’ve decided to stay put for a while (6 months, 6 years NFI, the joys of freedom), it was time to get out there are meet new people. Now it might not come as a surprise to learn, that I’ll pretty much talk to anyone, so off I went on a couple of nights out to see a few bands. Tribute bands are huge here – and the couple I’ve seen (Depeche Mode and The Cure) were excellent. And a couple of ska type bands have been lots of fun too. The problem with that was that people are there to watch the band and not necessarily chat to the lone Aussie. Still enjoyed the nights out.

And then I discovered MeetUp and just like that – instant friends!

My first outing was to a Spanish/English conversation night. Bonus points, it was at the Bedford not far from home. Off I went with my ‘can I be your friend badge’ not knowing if it would be English people wanting to practice their Spanish or Spanish people wanting to practice their English. Bit of both and got to meet a variety of people from all walks of life. It’s good that these type of things usually involve a glass of wine makes chatting to strangers much easier. New friends made. Tick. Tonight is the second night.

Second outing was a pub crawl. Am I too old for a pub crawl? Never, especially as it started at 5pm. I was a bit hesitant. Would it be mainly for under 30’s or mixed? I sent a tentative message and was assured all welcome. Turns out there was nothing to worry about. There were heaps of lovely, friendly people with ages ranging from Mid 30’s to late 50’s. What I thought would be a couple of drinks, turned into a midnight ending. I had to draw the line at going to a club with the younger contingent. 5 bars now discovered and new friends made. Tick.

Next, seeing as I had two weeks off and you never know who you’re going to meet, I headed off to a coffee and conversation morning. Older group, still friendly. Met the lovely Barbara who told me all about a paid house/pet sitting company that she works for. Sent in my details, and I’ve been accepted. Free accommodation, doggie to play with and it pays enough to cover the basics. Winning! Although I’m about to start a new temp contract, so that might have to wait until that ends.

Final one to date was The Croissant Club – a brunch club for the girls. This was fun with and Joanne who I’d met on the pub crawl was there. Found myself involved in organising a Bollywood night. Stay tuned. The best thing was that I had planned to go to a soul night that night and Joanne mentioned that she and another of the pub crawlers were going out for dinner, so plans were made to meet up at 8.30pm. They knew other people there, and now so do I. Fun night. Dancing and cocktails involved. 

Aside from MeetUp, a put a call out on a Facebook group for any Aussies living in Southampton. And wouldn’t you know it, I got to meet the lovely Patina.  It’s nice to hear that Aussie drawl from home and can safely talk about pants, thongs, capsicum, zucchini, eggplant, doonas and not get strange looks. So far, we’ve caught up for brunch and Sunday roast plus a bonus visit to Costco (welcome back to my life Darrell Lea Strawberry Licorice). She loves to travel and enjoys going on adventures, so I’m sure there will be mischief to be had.

Are these people I've met real "friends"  Maybe not. Time will tell, but all friendships have to start somewhere. As the saying goes, we meet friends for a reason, a season or a lifetime. And any of those is OK. 

So yes, making friends as grown-ups can be hard, but if you put in a bit of effort, it can be done. Cheers to friends - new and old!  






4 comments:

  1. I’m your 🇨🇦 friend and I’m coming to hang with you in June. Get the Spanish wine and crumpets ready…it’s playtime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are marvellous and a delightful inspiration. Did you know MeetUp is an international network? Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, I learnt that MeetUp is international. It's great!

      Delete