Search This Blog

Thursday 12 July 2018

Theatre - culture or fun?

Go to three theatre performances.  Tick. I love going to the theatre. Actually, I love musicals and as much as I like the idea of seeing more serious plays and some of the smaller productions, I've come to the realisation, that they don't do it for me.  Bring on colour, music, singing and dancing, and I'm there! So for me, theatre is purely for fun and entertainment and the feel good factor, Shallow? Maybe.  Culture? Meh, not so much.

What have I seen this year?  Back in January, went along to see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.  As with most films, found the play not quiet as good as the book by Mark Haddon, but still enjoyed it.  Actors were fab, especially the lead who played 15 year old Christopher. The staging was very clever with actors who also played part of the "set."  Saves on costs I guess.

In April, it was Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Fabulous darlings, just fabulous! Big hair, big shoes, big lashes. Colour, dancing, singing and FUN! Much more my style. 

Finally last Saturday went along to see Puffs at the Alex Theatre in St Kilda. Had never been there before, so that was a first.  It covers seven years at that famous Wizard School from the viewpoint of the Puffs, who don't get to save the world from he who must not be named and are well "average". It was silly, but a bit of fun and we had a few giggles.  Emi wasn't overly impressed.

My fave show? Has to be Aladdin.  With Hairspray and Kinky Boots right up there. When I leave the theatre, I want my cheeks to hurt and if I've pee'd my pants just a little, that's a good sign. Least favourite? Well, I've only ever not gone back in at intermission at one performance and that was CRAPS.  Sorry CATS.  Not sure why I thought I might enjoy 1984 - didn't. Would have left at half time, but there wasn't one and we were in the front row, so felt a bit guilty.  What with Big Brother watching an all.

So after peering into the wall of self-reflection, I'm not going to go and see any show that's "deep" or a "must see" and go to the theatre three times is coming off the list.  Because life is too short to watch or read something that you're not enjoying. And on that note, I think it's about time I took read 20 classics off the list as well. Don Quixote - I'm looking at you.



No comments:

Post a Comment