Search This Blog

Sunday 1 July 2018

Never Stop Learning

But what if like me you don't particularly like studying?  Well nobody said you had to be a Master of Quantum Physics (what exactly is Quantum Physics? Yeah OK, I could go and google it, but I'm afraid I might not understand the answer) and nobody said what you could learn.  Just reading and being curious about the world around us is a pretty good place to start.

“The world is a university and everyone in it is a teacher. Make sure when you wake up in the morning, you go to school.” ―T. D. Jakes

However, I'm taking it one step further - and began a new list!  So starting from June 2018, I decided that each month I would pick a topic that I wanted to learn more about or acquire a new skill. Doesn't have to be deep, or technical, it just needs to be of interest.

“It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.” ―John Wooden

Now I read a fair bit and not only novels, but I wanted to actually focus on 1 particular topic. Coming up with topics is the fun bit (I love lists) and there are no restrictions.  Nothing is worthier than something else - unless there is a pressing need to learn about something. 

Which brings me to my June topic - what was it? Keeping Hens of course. Although I started reading up about hens when Coco arrived in late May, now that Thelma and Louise have bought our flock to three, I've been learning a bit more throughout June.  So as the month draws to a close, I'm summarising all I've learnt about chickens.  Am I an expert? Absolutely not, but hey I know more than I did and I can tell my Australops from my Hyline Bowns.  Just call me Julia the Chicken Whisperer. 

A list in progress - Acquire one new skill a month (in no particular order):

1. Identify the 20 most common birds found around Melbourne (I fancy myself a bit of a "twitcher")
2. What is permaculture all about?
3. Learn about healing crystals
4. What's all the fuss with essential oils?
5. Learn speed reading
6. How to make Jam/preserves 
7. Become a better photographer
8. Lean all the types of pasta and make some
9. Learn to tow a caravan
10. Learn how to crochet a mandala rug
11. Learn the history behind the art silos and do up an article
12. Learn about frogs and and building frog bogs
13. Learn about Buddhism 
14. Find out what Quantum Physics actually is


P.S. For July, I've decided to checkout birds.  Time to pull out the trusty binoculars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment