Search This Blog

Thursday 9 March 2017

Do what you love or love what you do

Image result for love what you do quote

Find a job I love is on the list for this year.  Working out exactly what that is, not so easy!  Obviously a career as a circus performer is not really a probability, Getaway are not hiring reporters at the moment (and even if they were I wouldn't leave Lucas) and we're still too young to be grey nomads!

The alternative to finding a job I love, is to love the job I have.  And I don't think this will happen.  Don't get me wrong, I work with mostly great people and I don't hate work or getting up on a Monday morning, but it doesn't rock my world!

Last year I did the Gallup Strengths finder.  What were my strengths? Positivity, Empathy, Communication, Developer, Deliberative.  Not really sure how deliberative snuck in there, I can be pretty rash at times.

After some thought, what do I really love (apart from Emi of course)?  I love travelling, reading, animals, doing new things, organising stuff, eating and writing. The writing thing was always in the background (hence the write a book that's on the list and has been a WIP for the past few years and  writing this blog) and I've now realised that I really, really like writing.  But I have a short attention span, so maybe short stories and articles are more my thing. 

So, how do I combine my strengths and the things I love?  Aha moment, I should write about the things I love!  And instead of always saying I'll get around to it one day, I did it!  I applied and got accepted to write for Weekend Notes and I've submitted and had printed 2 articles!  Am I going to make enough money to live on?  Who knows!  All I know is that I've made around $10 to date and I'm happy with that!  I've even joined a writers group and I'm doing a short course.

I can now say I have a "job" I love and a job that pays the bills so I can do the "job" I love. 

Do what you love or love what you do.  And if you haven't found out what that is - keep looking.

Image result for love what you do quote

No comments:

Post a Comment